The number of 457 visa workers grew by 21% in the past year
The number of 457 visa workers grew by 21% in the past year, and we know why!
The 457 visa is the most commonly used program for Australian or overseas employers to sponsor skilled overseas workers to work in Australia on a temporary basis.
Holders of the 457 visa may be employed for a period of between three months and four years and may bring any eligible family members, including same-sex partners, who have unrestricted work and study rights in Australia. Holders of the Subclass 457 visa have no limit on the number of times they travel in and out of Australia.
457 visa holders are allowed unlimited travel outside of Australia and are eligible for borrowing from the banks in Australia – since many 457 visa holders are in Australia for long term employment and also many end up becoming permanent residents, Australian banks are comfortable with allowing 457 visa holders to borrow.
Furthermore, as of 1 July 2012 the DIAC has simplified the pathway for eligible 457 visa holders to obtain permanent residence, by implementing the following key changes:
- removing the onshore and offshore distinctions;
- absorbing the separate labour agreement subclasses into the ENS and RSMS;
- introducing a simplified pathway for eligible 457 visa holders to obtain permanent residency;
- raising the upper age limit to less than 50 years;
- changing the English language and skill requirements;
- introducing one consolidated sponsored occupation list (SOL) to replace the 457 occupation list, the Employer Nomination Skilled Occupation List (ENSOL) and the State and Territory Sponsored Occupation List (StatSOL);
- refocusing the regional certifying body (RCB) network to the direct entry stream of RSMS; and
- integrating the new ENS and RSMS visas with the skilled migrant selection model-SkillSelect, which was launched on 1 July 2012.
If you think that you may be eligible for a 457 visa, our experienced Registered Migration Agents at The Migration Place can assist you with a professionally prepared application and supporting evidence which will enhance your chances to secure a successful visa result.
For further information or to arrange an initial consultation, please contact us on (07) 3891 3333 or via email to email@example.com.