Why do Kiwis need residency?
New Zealanders who arrived after 26 February 2001 on a special category (subclass 444) visa can now apply for permanent residency rights, if they have been living in Australia for five years or more.
Australia is expected to welcome over 60,000 New Zealanders on 1 July 2017 thanks to the new relationship between Australia and New Zealand.
We expect a large volume of applications, so get in quick to avoid application delays (and get in quick before they change the rules AGAIN!)
These changes will be implemented within the existing Skilled Independent (Subclass 189) Visa to introduce two streams: the Points-Tested Stream and the New Zealand Stream.
The requirements of the New Zealand Stream are generally summarised as follows –
- You must have been usually resident in Australia on or before 19 February 2016; and
- Since that time, you must have continued to be usually resident in Australia for at least 5 years before applying for the visa; and
- Have been contributing to Australia by earning a certain level of taxable income; and
- Meet mandatory health, character and security criteria.
The New Zealand Stream will have two payment instalments.
The first instalment (payable upon lodgement) is expected to be as follows:
- Base Application Charge: $720
- Additional applicant charge for an applicant who is at least 18: $360.00.
- Additional applicant who is less than 18 $180.00.
The second instalment (payable prior to grant) is expected to be as follows:
- Applicant who meets primary criteria: $2,880.00
- At least 18 at the time of application: $1,440.00.
- Applicant under 18 years of age: $720.00.
There may be further requirements depending on the applicant. Furthermore, exemptions to the income test may apply to you, however the full details will not be released until 1 July 2017.
Should you believe you meet the requirements for the new Subclass 189 – New Zealand Stream visa, we can assist you in preparing the application so that we can lodge as soon as the visa is open to applicants on 1 July 2017.
Call us on 07 3229 4025 or send us an email to email@example.com to get the process started today!