Rules relaxed – it is now easier for students who graduate in Australia, to get residency! - Migration Place

The 485 visa is usually adopted by student graduates who wish to stay in Australia to gain work experience and therefore residency.
You must apply within 6 months of graduation, and the time lines are strict, so if you want to stay here, then see an experienced migration lawyer ASAP.
The visa allows you to live, study and work in Australia temporarily after you have finished your studies.

This is needed to ensure graduates can get work experience, and therefore permanent residency.

The DIBP has removed the requirement that applicants must provide overseas police certificates from each country they have lived in for 12 months or more during the past 10 years. Whilst some case officers may request this after the visa has been lodged, this change will make it quicker and easier to apply for the 485 Visa, as it overcomes one of the major hurdles experienced by graduates who struggled to get the police report done within 6 month’s’ of graduation (for example).

Many educated students come to Australia to increase their qualifications in one of our world recognised universities and colleges. This has been a boost to our economy in two ways. Firstly, the direct extra income to our economy has resulted in this industry being one of the top 4 industries of Australia over the last decade, together with tourism, behind agriculture and mining. Secondly, Australia has enjoyed having these highly educated motivated students stay in Australia to pursue careers.
It makes sense for Australia to encourage this.

The Migration Place can help simplify the application process for you, to ensure you submit your complete 485 Visa application before your student visa expires.

As many student visas will be expiring soon, it is advisable that you get in quick, to avoid being last in the processing line!

Contact us today on (07) 3229 4025 or send an email to