28 September 2011 | FAQ, What is the difference between Permanent and Temporary residence? | The Migration Place
What is Permanent Residence?
As an Australian Permanent Resident you are allowed to live and work in Australia with the same rights and benefits as an Australian citizen by birth.
You do not hold an Australian passport.
- Live and work in Australia on a permanent basis;
- Study at Australian schools or universities;
- Receive subsidised healthcare through Medicare and the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS);
- Access certain Social Security Payments (subject to waiting periods);
- Become an Australian citizen (subject to Residency Eligibility Criteria);
- Sponsor other people for permanent residency.