Bringing your family to Australia - Migration Place

According to the 2016 Census of Population and Housing, one in four people (26%) living in Australia was born overseas. Australians now come from nearly 200 countries and represent more than 300 ethnic ancestries. Australia has been built by immigrants and their descendants. However, being a migrant is hard, you are often getting homesick and wondering if you have made the right decision by relocating to Australia. The Lucky Country has welcomed you with open arms but you can’t help it but miss your family. For most people, traveling overseas on regular basis is expensive and sometimes options are limited by your visa conditions. At this point, you must be wondering what happens after you have obtained your Australian permanent residence or even your citizenship?

As an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen, you may be able to sponsor your family to live in Australia. If you want to know your options, this article is for you!

Our team of experts has created a simplified list to help you to understand the different visa categories available to bring your family to Australia:

  1. Partner category visa options

Partner category migration allows for the grant of a visa that permits married partners (i.e. opposite-sex spouses) or de facto partners (including those in a same-sex relationship) of Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents and eligible New Zealand citizens to enter and remain permanently in Australia.

Depending on the type of relationship you are in, your partner might be eligible for a Prospective Marriage Visa or a Partner Visa. For a better idea refer to this table:

Relationship type Visa
Engaged – intended marriage Prospective marriage visa
Married relationship Partner visa
De facto partnership – including a same-sex relationship Partner visa

Please be aware that as the partner or fiancé(e) of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen, you do not have an automatic right of permanent residence in Australia. If you wish to reside permanently in Australia you must first apply for a permanent visa and be assessed against the legal criteria for the grant of that visa.

  1. Parent category visa options

Parents may be eligible to migrate to Australia using a Parent visa if they have a child in Australia who is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen, pass the balance of family test and meet health and character requirements.

At this stage, there are 2 categories or Parent Visas:

  • Parent Category
  • Contributory category

On 5 May 2017, the Australian Government announced the introduction of the new temporary sponsored parent visa for parents of Australians during the 2017-2018 Migration Programme year. This new visa will allow Australians to sponsor their parents to stay in Australia for up to five years at a time. Please note that this option is subject to passage of the Migration Amendment through Parliament. The Bill is currently before the Senate and if it passes the new visa will be introduced in late 2017.

  1. Relative visa options

If you wish to bring an older relative who is dependent on you or have a relative outside Australia whose only near relatives are living in Australia.

  1. Child and adoption visa options

If you wish to bring your child to Australia, there are different types of visa options available.

  1. Carer visa options

If you or your family member has a long-term or permanent medical condition, there are visa options available under the carer visa category.

Having any questions or concerns? We are here to help! Our team of Migration solicitors will assess your specific situation and design the best strategy for you and your family members.


Contact us today for help via our direct number +61 07 3229 4025 or email