Holiday Working Visa - Migration Law | The Migration Place

The restriction stopping working holiday makers from working with the same employer for more than 6 months is being lifted – well partially at least! As of 21 November 2015, certain working holiday makers will be able to work for the same employer for up to 12 months! This exciting change applies to both those on a Working Holiday (Subclass 147) Visa and Work and Holiday (Subclass 462) Visa.

Au pairs working in any part of Australia are one group that will be eligible for the extension, a win for Australian families, enabling them to maintain consistent child care arrangements. Others eligible for the extension include those who work in northern Australia in specified jobs in the following industries:

  • Aged and disability care
  • Agriculture
  • Construction
  • Mining
  • Tourism and Hospitality.

The change not only encourages workers to the north, but also allows employers to reap more benefits from their employees after time spent training them. For working holiday makers, the upside is that they are able to commit more time to one employer, making them more attractive as prospective employees.

If you are eligible for an extension of time for employment with the same employer, don’t forget to apply! An extension of time isn’t granted automatically. If you fail to apply for an extension you could breach your visa conditions. Applying for an extension is free, so there is really nothing stopping you from getting one.

The Department of Immigration has also recently revealed that in 2016 there will be further changes to the Work and Holiday (Subclass 462) Visa. These changes will allow Work and Holiday Visa holders to extend their stay in Australia by 12 months if they have worked in the agriculture or tourism industries in northern Australia for at least 3 months. This is welcome news for those interested in applying for a Work and Holiday Visa as this visa currently only allows holders to stay in Australia for a maximum of 12 months without the option to apply for a second year visa, unlike for the Working Holiday Visa.

If you are unsure as to whether you qualify for an extension of time for employment with an employer, contact one of our migration lawyers today!